Thursday, January 31, 2008

Concept and Process



Okay, so let's get started...  This piece is called Restoration.  I made it about a year ago, the fall after I completed my BFA.  There is a sort of narrative taking place here that I could explain to you but that is not really something I am interested in doing.  Let me, instead, describe how I approach my work and a little bit about my conceptual framework.  The tubular, conduit-like structures that make up the structural foundations of my work are meant to describe a map of sorts.  This map depicts my inner-life; its influences, confluences, and effluences and the images associated with each.  I see these "locations" as being dissected from a larger matrix, with their subconscious associations dictating their surfaces and environments.  I approach the building of these structures intuitively and formally.  I make every effort to avoid projections and thoughts about their future as art objects.  After they have gone through the basic ceramic process of drying and firing, a neutral foundational surface is applied and they are set aside.  This act of setting aside allows me to "forget" about the object so that I may see it with new eyes at a later time and allow for a more spontaneous response as I begin to deal with its surface and environment.  A free-associative symbol of a moment or internal concept is then produced and made available for scrutiny.

So, that's about it for now.  I'll be hashing these ideas out and refining them more as I continue with this series.  At this moment in time I see endless possibilities regarding scale and surface, lets hope that proves to be true. 



    

No comments: